Episode 38: In episode 38 of America Adapts, I talk with fellow podcaster Andrew Lewin of Speak Up For Blue! Andrew’s podcast focuses on all things related to ocean conservation – he’s ‘speaking up’ for the oceans! Andrew and I talk about the multitude of topics he covers and the diverse set of ocean experts he gets on the show. In the second half of the episode, Andrew, who’s Canadian, walks us through their own War on Science that occurred under their previous Prime Minister. The timing is perfect, with the just completed March for Science reminding us the importance of science, Andrew gives a much needed pep talk, and walks through the actions, both large and small, that their government took to stifle Canadian research. It’s an important listen and we have much to learn from our northern neighbor!Show highlights:
- SPEAK UP FOR OCEANS – Doug introduces Andrew Lewin, the host of Speak up for Blue, a podcast dedicated to protecting our oceans. Andrew explains the history of the podcast and what his long term goals are for it.
- OCEAN EXPERTS TALK – Andrew describes the process of recruiting guests for the podcast and the evolution of SUFB becoming a premiere platform to discuss ocean conservation.
- CANADIAN WAR ON SCIENCE – Andrew describes in captivating detail, Canada’s own recent experience of science being under attack by politicians. He describes how it happened, what strategies were used to stifle science, and the recent change in government that has since liberated their scientists to speak out more.
- MARCH FOR SCIENCE – Doug and Andrew discuss the present environment for science in the United States and what we can learn from the Canadian experience. Andrew gives a pep talk on what US scientists can do to counter the muzzling of their work and how we can avoid some of the problems the Canadians encountered.
Links in episode:
iHeart Radio: http://www.speakupforblue.com/iHeartRadio
You Tube: http://www.speakupforblue.com/YouTube
FB group: http://www.speakupforblue.com/group
Want more America Adapts?
Download the podcast:
- Visit iTunes and search for “America Adapts.”
- Browse Google Music Player using the same search term (“America Adapts”)
- Find a direct feed to the podcast on this website: America Adapts.
Join the Community:
America Adapts on Facebook!
Join the America Adapts Facebook Community Group.
Check us out, we’re also on YouTube!
Subscribe to America Adapts on Itunes
Donate now! (America Adapts is now a charitable organization!)
Doug can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org