In episode 54 of America Adapts, Doug Parsons attends the 2017 American Association of Landscape Architects conference in Los Angeles. In this episode, we discover the burgeoning role of landscape architects in adaptation planning. Doug talks with a wide swath of landscape architects, from living legend Martha Schwartz, to young graduate students just entering the field, gearing up to dedicate themselves to addressing climate change. Listen in to some of the leading voices in this sector and their insights and advice on how landscape architecture as a field can step up to the challenge of adaptation.
Subscribe/listen to podcast on Apple Podcasts.
This episode of America Adapts was generously sponsored by Anova Furnishings. To learn more how they promote the field of landscape architecture, visit their website here.
Guests in this episode (time location in episode):
- Ellen Stewart, Landscape Architect, City of St. Paul (2:34)
- Vaughn Rinner, President, ASLA (4:33)
- Kristina Hill, Professor, University of Berkeley, California (9:57)
- Deanna Lynn, Graduate Student, Landscape Architecture (22:02)
- Martha Schwartz, Harvard University and Martha Schwartz Partners (24:29)
- Eric Gilbert, CEO, Anova (37:11)
- Brad McKee, Editor, Landscape Architecture Magazine (42:50)
- Jason Bingham, Landscape Architect (55:33)
- Barbara Deutsch, Landscape Architecture Foundation (57:58)
- Matt Alcide, Land 8 (1:11:47)
- Stephanie V. Landregan, Director, UCLA Extension (1:15:12)
- April Philips, April Philips Design Work (1:18:43)
- Leslie Johnson, Graduate Student, Landscape Architecture (1:25:03)
- Pamela Conrad, CMG Landscape Architecture (1:27:45)
Donate to America Adapts, we are now a tax deductible charitable organization!
In this Episode:
LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE – Doug discovers what this field really does and its critical role in the ever expanding adaptation universe.
SUSTAINABILITY VS ADAPTATION– Landscape architects have been a leading voice in sustainability, but Doug and his guests discuss the differences between sustainability and adaptation.
TOOLS AND RESOURCES – Doug and his guests discuss some of the emerging tools in landscape architecture to address climate change impacts.
NEXT GENERATION – A recurring theme in these interviews is whether landscape architecture schools are providing students with the skills needed to be adaptation professionals.
AND MUCH MORE!
Facebook and Twitter:
Subscribe to America Adapts on Apple Podcasts.
On Google Play here.
Please share on Facebook!
On Twitter: @usaadapts
Links in episode:
New Landscape Declaration Book by The Landscape Architecture Foundation
Conversation with Kate Orff
America Adapts also has its own app for your listening pleasure! Just visit the App store on Apple or Google Play on Android and search “America Adapts.”
Join the climate change adaptation movement by supporting America Adapts! Please consider supporting this podcast by donating through America Adapts fiscal sponsor, the Social Good Fund. All donations are now tax deductible!
Write a review on Apple Podcasts!
America Adapts on Facebook!
Join the America Adapts Facebook Community Group.
Check us out, we’re also on YouTube!
Producer Dan Ackerstein
Subscribe to America Adapts on Apple Podcasts
Doug can be contacted at americaadapts @ g mail . com