In episode 57 of America Adapts, Doug Parsons talks with experts from all over the world focusing on the conservation of the elusive snow leopard of High Asia and how this species and the communities around this species, are adapting to climate change. Guests from Nepal, India, China, Russia, Sweden, and the US share stories on studying this amazing cat and talk about some of the innovative adaptation strategies that are being put in place thanks to funding from a USAID project that is being implemented by World Wildlife Fund.
Two additional themes emerge in this episode, the influence of Peter Matthiessen’s epic masterpiece, The Snow Leopard, and stories from these experts about their own magical encounters with the snow leopard in the wild. Peter Matthiessen never did see a snow leopard, but several of these experts did. Hear their amazing stories in detail.
Subscribe/listen to podcast on Apple Podcasts.
Guests in this episode:
- Ryan Bartlett – Lead: Climate Risk Management, WWF US (Starts 2:52)
- Juan Li, Post Doc at Panthera/University of California, Berkeley | UCB, Department of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management – China/Science/snow leopard (starts 23:44)
- Ghana Shyam Gurung – WWF Nepal/Science/adaptation (Starts 37:33)
- Oksana Lipka – WWF Russia, Climate Adaptation and Environmental Specialist – Russia/Science/adaptation (Starts 51:31)
- Charudutt (Charu) Mishra, the Snow Leopard Trust’s Science and Conservation Director– India/Science/adaptation (Starts 59:58)
- Judy Oglethorpe, Senior Director, Multilateral Program Development at WWFUS – Adaptation/Nepal (Starts 1:20:58)
- Theo Perlin – Student, Snow Leopard Fundraiser (1:45:15)
- Matthias Fiechter – Communications Manager, Snow Leopard Trust (1:50:17)ust
Facebook and Twitter:
Subscribe to America Adapts on Apple Podcasts
On Google Play here.
Please share on Facebook!
On Twitter: @usaadapts
Facts on Snow Leopard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSdJwBhWgZQ
America Adapts also has its own app for your listening pleasure! Just visit the App store on Apple or Google Play on Android and search “America Adapts.”
Join the climate change adaptation movement by supporting America Adapts! Please consider supporting this podcast by donating through America Adapts fiscal sponsor, the Social Good Fund. All donations are now tax deductible!
Podcast Music produce by Richard Haitz Productions
Write a review on Itunes!
America Adapts on Facebook!
Join the America Adapts Facebook Community Group.
Check us out, we’re also on YouTube!
Producer Dan Ackerstein
Subscribe to America Adapts on Itunes
Doug can be contacted at americaadapts @ g mail . com
Theo Perlin’s Cheese Scone Recipe!